Do You Have A Morning Routine?
Oh, you mean stumbling out of bed when you hear the kids rummaging through the fridge and praying your husband already started coffee doesn’t count?
No, no it does not. 😉
One of the most proven ways to have a positive outlook for your day is to start off your day with a good and consistent routine.
If it is at all possible, it is great for you to have some early morning time to yourself. I fully recognize that with the demands of life with little ones, this isn’t always possible, but if you can manage crawling out of bed even 20-30 minutes before you know your kids will be awake, you can really do a lot to set your mindset straight for the day ahead.
What should you do while you’re awake in those 20 minutes before the kids?
Not laundry. Not dishes. Not chores.
Do something early in the morning to give your mind and soul some much needed positive energy!
Watch the sunrise. Enjoy a hot cup of coffee (all the way to the bottom of the cup hot!). Practice gratitude journaling. Spend time focusing on YOU. It’s so important that you give yourself time each day.
Plus, having that time to wake up before your children can make all the difference in the way you connect with them!
First thing in the morning is one of the best times to connect with your child. They are rested from a long night of sleep, they are full of wonder and excitement and question, and a new day is such an exciting thing!
And even if you’re not a “morning person,” having a morning routine with your child and/or your family, is a fantastic way to start each day off on a happy and connected note.
But regardless of when YOU wake up, here are some ideas to help you connect with your children right away every morning:
* CUDDLE! Get those love endorphins flowing for both of you right away by starting your day off with some cuddle time. Since I’m awake before my boys most mornings, once I hear them start to stir, I join them in bed and we snuggle and wake up slowly.
* Talk about your dreams. Ask them what they dreamed about the night before, and share what you dreamed. [Make up a story if it wasn’t kid-friendly ;)] Starting the day off with some fun and imagination is a great start to an adventurous day!
* Make and eat a healthy breakfast. Incorporate your kids in the breakfast routine to get them excited about eating a healthy meal to start off the day. My boys love to help make their morning smoothies while I cook up whatever food we are having, and Daddy makes coffee. We all work together to enjoy a family meal.
* Read together. Read a book, read the paper, read a magazine, read an ebook. Read SOMETHING. Get those brains working and the imagination flowing! We usually fit this in right after breakfast. We either read together or read individually – whatever is floating our boats that morning.
* Get outside. Find a way to get outside and get some fresh air as early as possible. Go for a walk, take care of the garden, eat breakfast outside. It’s important that you (and especially your kids) get outdoors every day, and the earlier you do that, the more benefits you’re going to reap!
These are just a few of our family’s favorite ways to connect and start our mornings off on a happy and adventurous foot! It helps to calm the chaos and to set the tone for the rest of the day.
What does your family’s morning routine look like? Share some of your favorite ideas in the comments!